A couple of days ago i saw this interesting recipe on youtube by EntertainingWithBeth (you guys should subscribe to her channel!). In honor of earth day, she shows you how to make a delicious mushroom ragout with creamy polenta. Her video inspired me to create this less exciting dish with a less exciting name, 'Tangy Grits'.
Basically I used chicken stock to cook my grits, mixed in a slice of american cheese and red pepper flakes while the grits was still hot, and topped it with bits of crispy salami, sun-dried tomato, and cilantro. Because this is a breakfast, I wanted something hearty yet not too oily. If you don't find this filling, you can top it with a poached egg or a sunny side up.
Makes 1 large serving
- 1/2 cups of instant grits
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 slice American cheese
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped panfried salami
- red pepper flake
- 2 tablespoons oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- In a saucepan bring the chicken stock to a boil in medium flame.
- Whisk in grits and continue whisking for 3 minutes to prevent lumps from forming.
- Let pot come to a boil again in medium-low heat and continue cooking for 4-5 minutes or when mixture is creamy.
- Remove from heat and add in a slice of cheese. Let the residual heat melt the cheese.
- Sprinkle red pepper flakes, chopped sun dried tomatoes, and panfried salami.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro; serve immediately.