Sunday, May 5, 2013

Breakfast: Strawberry Spinach Shake

As previously mentioned, I wanted to start eating healthy and I really am. I've cut out fried food, am eating less sweets, and adding more fruits and vegetables into my diet. I know I also said I'd be posting savory breakfasts, but I just wanted to share this sweet recipe so bad! This is my go-to/on-the-go nutritional breakfast. It isn't too sweet and you can hardly taste the spinach! What?! Spinach you say? Yes, Spinach! This dark leafy green vegetable contains anti-cancer properties, lowers blood pressure, is good for the bones and nervous function, and promotes healthy skin! Talk about super cheap superfoods am I right? So give this baby a try and you'll thank me later (seriously). 

On a side note, I won't be posting any recipes this week due to finals but I'll continue the week after!


I'm not trying to advertise Coca-Cola here (jeje)
makes 1 serving

Ingredients:



  • 1 small banana
  • 1 1/2 cup fresh spinach
  • 1 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
  • 4 mint leaves
  • 1 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
  • 1 teaspoon chia seeds 
  • 1 teaspoon ground flaxseed
  • 5 cubes of ice
  • 1/2 cup frozen mango (optional: if you want a sweeter shake)
note: I used soymilk on my shake but feel free to substitute it with any type of milk or juice you like.

Directions:
  • Add peeled banana, spinach, frozen strawberries, mint leaves, soy milk, and ice cubes to blender and blend until smooth. If your blender gets stuck, add a little more liquid. 
  • Pour shake into a glass and add flaxseed and chia seeds. Mix.
  • Enjoy while it's still cool!







No comments:

Post a Comment