Saturday, June 1, 2013

Sun-Dried Tomato Crostini

A couple of days ago I bought a delicious loaf of baguette from a small Vietnamese restaurant. Honestly, I just bought the bread to munch on but when I was almost halfway through, I had an epiphany. CROSTINIS!  I hurried to the kitchen and took out all the ingredients I thought would accompany well with this beautiful loaf of baguette. Viola~
I tried recreating this appetizer using baguette I bought from Costco the next day and was truly disappointed. Although the packaging was labeled as "French baguette," its texture and taste resembles of a sourdough bread. SHAME ON YOU COSTCO FOR FALSE ADVERTISEMENT! So please do take time to hunt down real baguette if you want a full sun-dried tomato crostini experience.
  
On a side note, this sun-dried tomato topping can add a fresh tangy kick to most of  your dishes: toasts, burgers, omelets, stir-fry with brown rice, crackers, sandwiches, bad baguette etc. Give this recipe a try and let me know what you paired the topping with. Thanks for stopping by~

Real Crostini made with real baguette



Ingredients:
  • 1 French-bread baguette, cut into 1/2-inch-think slices 
  • 2/3 cup olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons garlic paste
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil
  • 1/2 cup sun-dried tomato packed with oil
  • Salt to taste
  • 1/2 cup green onion for garnish

Directions:
  • Preheat oven at 375°F and line baking sheet with foil paper.
  • In the meantime chop sun-dried tomatoes into fine pieces and reserve it in a bowl. Stir in garlic paste, lemon juice, dried basil, olive oil, and salt to taste. 
  • Using a pastry brush, brush each baguette slices lightly with the oil mixture you made (just the oil). Toast for 8 minutes or until lightly toasted.
  • Spread the crostini with sun-dried tomato mixture and sprinkle with green onion. Enjoy
A closer look at the Costco baguette 

5 comments:

  1. Mon namu, you should toast the baguette's from costco or cut them thinner. they are a bit doughy...but then again the baguettes I believe are from La Brea Bakery...which is from LA...so they have to be trucked down here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! Actually I bought my baguette at Mr. Baguette in Rosemead. The exterior was so crunchy and the interior was so soft and airy.
    BTW do I know you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely going to make these for lunch tomorrow! A couple of those with a nice salad = yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! I'd like to see a picture of it!

    ReplyDelete