Sunday, June 9, 2013

Breakfast: Rice with Kombu and Egg

My boyfriend introduced me to this delicious seaweed topping. I think it's dried and salted kombu. It is extremely salty so I like to mix it with a bowl of rice and top it with aromatic ingredients. I do not know how this is eaten in Japan, but looking at the picture from the packaging I guess i'm on the right path. 

You might find my rice to be slightly different in color and texture and that is because I like to mix rice with different assorted grains. I add about 1/2 cup glutinous rice, 1 1/2 cups brown rice, 1/2 cargo rice, and 1/2 cup black rice. I've even seen people mix legumes to their rice for a healthier blend. I also like to add a little less water when cooking the rice for a firmer texture. 

Of course you don't have to follow my recipe to a tee. If you aren't comfortable with eating raw egg, you can top your rice with a sunny side up and it will taste equally as good. For leftover rice (sans toppings), it keeps well in the fridge for several days. To re-heat overnight rice, simply microwave the rice in microwave-safe bowl with a moistened paper towel on the side for 1 minute. You can also make extra ahead to serve later.








Ingredients:

For the rice:
  • 2 1/2 cups mixed rice (your preference)
  • 2 tsp dashi powder
  • 1 small kombu (kelp)
  • 1 egg
Toppings:
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons shredded salted kombu
  • 1 tablespoon finely diced green onion
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seed
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil

Directions:
  • Cook rice as directed on the packaging. Add dashi powder and a sheet of kombu to the water. Cook until rice is firm and tender and no longer crunchy. Fluff the rice with a rice paddle and let sit in the rice cooker to keep warm.
  • Serve rice on bowl and add toppings. Crack a raw egg (you can top it with a sunny side up if you don't like raw egg), sprinkle with shredded salted kombu, green onion, toasted sesame seeds, and drizzle sesame oil.
  • Serve hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment