Impress your friends and family by baking this delicious ham and cheese sandwich/bun. Watch their eyes widen when you tell them the bun is made from scratch. Move aside Doughboy, elbow grease is in town.
Click here for the dough recipe.
Makes 4 buns
- Sweet bun dough (recipe)
- 6 slices low sodium ham, cut vertically in half
- 6 slices American cheese, cut in half
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup green onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon black pepper, cracked
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 tablespoons green onion, finely diced
- Once the dough has risen, punch the dough to remove the air and cut the dough into 4 equal pieces.
- Cover working surface and the dough with saran wrap and roll a piece of dough into a rectangle. Layer ham, American cheese, green onion, and top it off with grated cheddar cheese and a sprinkle of black pepper.
|Leave a little space to prevent spillage|
- Roll it up, fold the sides, and pinch seams together to seal. Place, seam-side down on a lined baking sheet. Repeat this process for the remaining dough. Cover loafs with a moisten towel and let it sit for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime preheat oven at 350°F and prepare egg wash by beating egg yolk, honey, and water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- After 20 minutes, brush each bun with egg wash; sprinkle with cheddar cheese and green onion.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.